Saturday 14 July 2012

Not "Just a Birthmark"

While I am sure I have met the Coleman family at a previous Nevus Outreach Conference, I can't recall an introduction to my mind, however, their story grips my heart in a way few things ever have.  It's not an ache, it's a tight squeeze that will not let go until a tear rolls down my cheek and/or I have prayed long enough for God to release the grip and allow me to breathe again.

 I have learned from this family to never say "it's just a birthmark" again.

This boy has the same skin condition as my daughter. When this boy was the age my daughter will be turning in a few days, his nevus was diagnosed as having Melanoma. His nevus, to the best of my knowledge, was similar in placement, size and color to that of my daughter. They tried removing it. Almost 5 years ago. And each time they did, the results came back: "the margin is not clear". So they would remove more.  As far as I understand anyway. And this boy has been seen by the best cancer research centers in the United States. And this boy has had every kind of cancer treatment, both traditional and experimental that his family and doctors can find. And this boy is now considered incurable by all his doctors. And his family has met with the funeral home planners. As he sits and looks out his window at all the community members helping to complete the garden in his family's backyard so that he will have a peaceful place to sit in his final days and that his family may have a peaceful place to go to remember the best times and be at peace, once he is gone. This boy has amazing insight for a boy of only 13 years.
 His name is Evan.
 And we are praying for him, and for his family.
If you would like to follow Evan's story, read the history or pray along with us, please visit the blog his dad, Paul, writes here.

.

No comments: